Tuesday, December 6, 2011

kinda sad in today's society...

I know lately when I have blogged I am not talking about my healthier lifestyle. I like to blog lately about my opinions. It just seems so many things have been going on lately, but I promise by weeks end, healthy lifestyle blog coming up!

I had been reading on everyone's facebook about a little girl from Huntsville who had committed suicide because she had been bullied. How sad is this! What are we teaching our children? I remember when Tanner was a wee guy starting school and he was maybe 4, and his friend Trevor looked different. First year, Tanner didn't notice, second year either. By the third year Trevor was in a different class room. Tanner came home and said that some boys in his class were calling Trevor retarded. I said to Tanner, sure hope you weren't. I also explained to Tanner that everyone is different. A little tick, a big tick. We all march to the beat of our own drummer. About two weeks later, I get a call from the principal asking if I could come to the school and pick Tanner up, he was being sent home for fighting. When I got to the school, there was my boy upset, sad and being told he shouldn't have had a hands on incident at school. I take him out to the car and he is full out sobbing. I wasn't giving him trouble, I asked what happened. Tanner admitted that a grade 7 lunch helper had called is friend retarded! He also said, that he had talked to the teacher after first lunch break about it. But by second lunch break the same lunch helper was making fun of both of the boys and finally Tanner saw red and snapped! He said "Mom if Trev is retarded so am I!". I walked back into the school with my upset boy and spoke to the principal. I asked her if she had looked into any of what he said. She said that the lunch helper had said they were miss behaving and that Tanner beat him up. So I got Tanner to tell her what happened. Wow, things changed a bit... What is it going to take! I was bullied for years because of my size. I felt like a social outcast. And it amazes me, sometimes when I run into people now, how they act like because I am smaller, we were best friends when I was a kid... You tortured the hell out of me! Made me feel less then I truly was! I know we are all guilty of it at times, but that is something I truly try to teach my kids... UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!

My heart goes out to this family. I read on someone's facebook that the bullies need to be prosecuted. I agree, I also think not only the bullies, but their family should have to be counselled!!!! It is such a terrible thing in today's society to have all this hatred running rapid! Today I am going kiss my kids and tell them its ok everyone is different, and then I am going to do what I can to protect them from the bullies out there... Once a mama bear, always a mama bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment