Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Working Woman...

Most of us women have a job outside the home. I have been off on sick leave since November, and I have to say, yes I have been sick and had a few surgeries, but I have enjoyed being home with my family. I am very fortunate to have a full time job and a husband, who works opposite shifts and picks up the slack around our home. We don't see each other a lot, which means the time we spend as a family is quality time. Some people don't have that. I was watching the news the other night and they say there are quite a few people (the 40% range) who work two part time jobs to make ends meet. Which means more hours then full time, and less time at home. Not to mention, part time job means less tax taken off of their income, which isn't enough to begin with. So when you are hoping for a little extra cash after doing your taxes, you generally have to pay in. It is difficult to juggle work and family, but it is getting even harder. My friend is a victim of this. She hasn't had a weekend off for over two years, she makes sure she takes as many shifts as she can so she isn't perceived as unreliable. And if she is lucky she gets to work both jobs on the weekend. Sometimes I wonder how they cope. I look at our beautiful city and think, wow, Barrie is a nice place. But then I think where are the jobs. Other communities have it way worse.
You think back to generations before, and women stayed home, men went out and worked. They would show up with a lunch, see if there was work and be at the same job 40 years later. Sometimes, I think it would be nice to have both generations (past and present) co mingle. A little from each time, and all of our children would have a better world!

No comments:

Post a Comment