Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bullying is such a serious issue...

I was on facebook this morning and was checking out what everyone was up to, when I came across my friend's status saying that her son was being bullied at school (I hope she doesn't mind I mention this!). This boy firstly, would never hurt a fly, and is always happy to see everyone and feels very differently about himself because of his conditions (tourettes Syndrome and a SEVERE allergy to nuts). His family has taken every precaution to ensure that his allergy or illness doesn't rule his life and the education to know what he can and can't eat or do. He has been bullied at school by a fellow student for months, my friend with no avail, has talked to teachers, principals, etc. The bully went so far as to put a cookie in the the child's face and say "eat this and die". WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TOO! I have always taught my children acceptance, and I hope that that lesson assists them through life. My son has been bullied through out his school life, he had a knife pulled on him in first grade! Where are the limits in the school? When Tanner was in junior kindergarten he was a victim of bullying by a grade 4 (a lunch helper). Tanner would be fearful when it was time to go to school, he would flinch when you attempted to hug him. It was just plain sad. After several visits to the school to speak with teachers, principal and parents, still nothing changed. One afternoon, I received a phone call asking me if I could come to the school right away, there had been an altercation. When I got to the school, there was my boy crying and another boy holding his nose. I went into the Principal's office, first thing she said was, "Mrs. Money, I am very sorry. Tanner is being sent home today, but not suspended." I was taken aback, I asked what happened. What had happened was, this bully took Tanner's lunch, then began a tirade on him and his friends. Threatened them with a broom, and then when getting ready to go play outside, he threatened Tanner's friend, who was a girl. Tanner went to the door, and then asked the kid to come outside and beat the piss out of him. Broke his nose, and that child was suspended for 3 days. But why did it have to get to that? Lack of supervision, horrible home life? When I met with this child's parents, you could tell. I felt horrible for what my son went through, but my heart went out to the other child in this situation.
I guess what I am asking is what do you do when your school is ignoring your pleas to keep your child safe? Please comment below. I know when the knife was pulled on Tanner in grade one, we weren't even informed about it. I contacted the school and then the media. Now that school knows I don't play. I take my child's word, because he doesn't have a reason to lie about being bullied! Every child has the right to go to school and feel safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment