Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Diary of the shrinking fat chick, Chapter 1!

So for as long as I can remember, I have been overweight.  Some of you that know me, know this.  It has never really hindered me from doing anything I have wanted to do, except for wearing that yellow polka dot bikini, and you can thank me later.  Most of my life, I have been on a "diet".  About five years ago, I ended my diet.  I ate from the four food groups, snacked occasionally, exercised, never lost a pound.  If I did lose a pound I gained back 10.  How discouraging is that. Yes, I have heard the snickers, and got the stares.  I have always loved the line, you have such a pretty face.  When I was in school, I had to order my clothes from sears in the biggest size possible, and hoped they were as stylish as everyone else's.  I think I perpetually lived in the colours brown and black, still do.  I have always felt bad when ordering food in a restaurant, I have always be conscientious of what I am wearing, how I look. 

So about a year and a half ago I began this process.  I talked to my doctor about gastric bypass.  He said no right off the mark.  He encouraged me to explore every options. So at that appointment, we went through every weight loss program I had ever been on.  Weight watchers, nutrasystem, tops, vegetarian, slimfast, you name it I have been on it.  He then asked me if I would consider going to a dietitian.  So I did.  I went faithfully for an entire year.  I wrote down everything that entered my body. Would take it in once a month, we would go over it.  She said I was a pretty healthy fat chick.  I felt discouraged, it didn't seem to matter what I did, I couldn't lose weight.  She said she would like to recommend me to Humber River for gastric bypass.

My Doctor agreed, and there I was at my first class.  Listening to the uplifting stories of people who have had the surgery and were successful, and people who weren't successful.  I know approximately eight people who have had the surgery with wonderful results.  I learned a lot about the procedure.  I also learned that it can't considered lightly, it is a drastic change.  So in one week from now I begin the liquid diet I need to do in order to shrink the fat around my liver.  Every week once the procedure is done I am going to be blogging about how I am feeling, how much weight I have lost, etc.

Bikini by the time I am 40? Not too sure...Healthy and active in to my 90's, I sure hope so!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment