Saturday, December 11, 2010

Extending an olive branch

Sometimes in life an olive branch is extended.  The reasons the branch is extended, if genuine, should not be questions.  Is could be a point of movement in a frustrating situation that could provide the beginning to solution.  As long as the motives are genuine, consider the olive branch.  I think about my life, when my nan died, my grandmother and her brother were estranged for a long period of time.  I loved her dearly, but a grudge she could carry!  At one point after her strokes, she asked to see him.  This could have been the olive branch that everyone had for years hoped would be extended. Through miscommunication, wrong messages were given to my uncle and they never ever did get that opportunity to make a mends.  I realized, after several years, I was the conveyor of this information, information that had been given to me by someone else to pass along when I was vulnerable.  Although, I was just the messenger, I was the one who gave that information.  I have for years felt a sense of guilt. My uncle was extremely angry with me, I was the messenger. But years ago, I remember my grandfather extending an olive branch to both my grandmother and my uncle and neither one of them taking the opportunity to use that olive branch.  Moral of the story, life is to short.  If someone is genuinely extending an olive branch really consider taking the time to snatch up this opportunity, because in the blink of an eye it could be gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment